Skip to main content

Dum Aloo

Dum Aloo is a famous North Indian Gravy, which goes well with Pulao’s, chapathis, rotis and naan. I watched this recipe, a year back, in a television show.  At that moment itself, I was tempted to prepare the dish. But, unfortunately, when I tried Dum Aloo, a few months back, I can say that it did not come up to the mark and I felt very bad. Then I dropped the idea of preparing dum aloo at home. Last week, when I purchased baby potatoes, I thought of preparing dum aloo again, with few variations in the recipe I already had from the show. Really, I can say, it came out too good and I was so happy of it and even SH too enjoyed it. I prepared it along with Peas Pulao and the combination was really really excellent and I packed it for my kiddo’s and SH’s lunch.
dum aloo
Ingredients:
Baby Potato 20 to 25
Fennel Seeds 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste 3/4 tbsp
Chilly Powder 1  tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Fresh Curd (curd should not be sour) 1/2 cup
Coriander Leaf (finely chopped) 1 tbsp
Water 1/3 cup
Salt 1 tsp (adjust accordingly)
Cooking Oil 1 tbsp
dum aloo
To Grind:
Cooking Oil 2 tsp
Bay Leaf 1
Fennel Seeds 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Cardamom 2
Cloves 2
Cinnamon 2” stick
Star Anise 1
Cashews 12 (I used broken cashews)
Onion 1 (roughly chopped)
Tomato 2 (roughly chopped)
dum aloo
Cooking Instructions:

Wash and clean the potatoes and pressure cook it with 1 cup of water for 3 whistles exactly. Once the pressure is released, let the potatoes to cool and peel off the skin (potatoes will be semi cooked but don’t worry, will be cooked soft when added to gravy and cooked in dum). Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add bay leaf and fennel seeds in simmer flame.
DSC05790DSC05805DSC05806DSC05807
Following that add cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and just fry it in a simmer flame. (Do not burn any of the ingredients which will spoil the taste of the dish  and so am insisting the flame to be simmer and so please keep all the ingredients near you before you start cooking itself).
DSC05808DSC05809DSC05810DSC05811
Then add star anise and cashews and fry it well. Next add chopped onions and tomatoes and fry for 3 or 4 minutes and switch off the flame and let the ingredients to cool well. Then grind the items to a  fine smooth paste.
DSC05812DSC05816DSC05813DSC05814

aloo
Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and add fennel seeds and wait for a second and then add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell leaves off. Now add the grinded paste to the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
DSC05818DSC05819DSC05820DSC05821
Next add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala in series and mix well and fry it for a while.
DSC05823DSC05824DSC05825DSC05826
Meanwhile prick the potatoes with a fork, so that potatoes will absorb gravy and while eating you feel the taste of gravy in each potato. Next add salt and pricked potatoes to the gravy. Then add curd (beat it well before adding to gravy) and chopped coriander leaves and mix well and simmer the flame.
DSC05828DSC05827DSC05829DSC05830
Add chopped coriander leaves and 1/3rd cup of water to the gravy and mix well and simmer the flame and cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, gravy would have cooked well and potatoes would have become soft (keep in mind that potato should hold its shape and should not become mushy). Dum aloo is ready to serve!
DSC05831DSC05832DSC05833DSC05835DSC05836

aloo

Comments

divya said…
wow, this looks extremely delicious
Prathima Rao said…
Delicious & irresistible version of dum aloo!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Popular posts from this blog

EFM (Event for the Month) November with the Theme - Sweets!

I am really thankful to all the bloggers and non-bloggers who participated in the EFM - Chicken. Round Up of the EFM - Chicken goes here . Now its time to announce the theme for this month. Theme for EFM (Event for the Month) for the month of November is "Sweets". Hope Sweets are favorite to all of us and we have lot of varieties to taste. So, come out with all your sweet recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your sweet entries. The most important thing is include any type of sweets except the cake varieties. Rules for Participating in the Event: 1. Prepare any type of Sweet and post it in your blog in the month of November to December, 2008 with the logo and a link back to this page. 2. If you already have appropriate entry archived, please make sure to re post it with the logo and a link back to this page. 3. Provide a link back to this announcement page and use the logo without fail. 4. Subscribe to my blog via E-mail and it is a must to participate in the event. 5. Email yo

My 200th Post and Visitors Count Hit 11000 and Announcing an Event to Celebrate It!!!

I have now made 200 blog posts since starting this blog back in February 20, 2008. It has taken me 5 moths and 10 days days to reach this milestone, and I am both proud and happy to have reached this point and never i expect that my blog will have such a good response in this short span..... Ya! today is a remarkable day for me.... Woo Hoo! Its my 200th post and the visitors count for my blog has hit 11000 today and with this post, I have hit a milestone in this blog world!!! 11000 visitors in this 5 months period may not be a great one for others but it means somethin special for me!!! I can't imagine that count at all!!! Is it a dream(pinching myself... no no... am realizing the pain)? Thanks Lord! Thank You Friends!!! First of all, I would like to thank my encourager, my hubby who inspired me to start this blog!!! Thank u, Sweet Heart!!! And i like to thank my mom specially because all the recipes i have posted so far is all from her kitchen and i learn from her only what cook

Event for the Month of September and the Theme is Chicken

I thank all my blogger friends first of all, who wished for my son Amiitesh's birthday and he enjoyed a lot on that day with all my relatives and particularly during the function time. Amiitesh got up by 5.15am itself on that day and went to bed only by 11pm and he don't want to miss to play with his grand parents and uncles. He was very eager to cut the cake from the time we received it from the bakery. He looked so smart on that day and we had a blast of happiness. He was more eager to see the gift packs he received for his birthday and started playing with them immediately as soon as we unpack the gifts. And thank you all again who showered my son with their blessings. Feeling very happy again today in Announcing the event for the month of September and the theme is "Chicken" , which is all time favorite for everyone of us. So, come out with all your chicken recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your spicy entries. Last month during Ice Creams and Milkshakes Event, i