Skip to main content

Lemon Pickle–With Zero Oil

Summer has already started to take its step slowly towards South India, particularly here in Chennai. The weather is hot now itself and hey….  its time for…. “PICKLES”. Yeah, summer is the right time to prepare pickles and store it throughout the year. Pickles…. makes my mouth water now itself. Generally, we use to prepare different type of pickles in different methods, how their mom’s and grand mom's were used to do. For the past one week, am seeing lot of lemons heaped in vegetable stores, which is also for nominal rates. The Fresh Yellow color was so inviting and I set my mind to buy it a lot. But, what can I do with such a large number? Yes, I prepared my mindset to prepare Lemon Pickle, after a lot of mood swings, since my SH, won’t even touch it, because of doctor’s advice.  But for me, I always have a special craze for pickles, not just lemon alone but for mango and gooseberries too.
DSC05550

My mom use to prepare pickles at home in large quantity, as my dad and brothers won’t even touch the store-bought ones. So, we always go for home made pickles. I like to share here now with you all, a recipe by my mom. This, Lemon Pickle Recipe, doesn’t have even a drop of oil in it.
Ingredients:
Lemon – Medium Sized 12
Dry Red Chilly 12
Rock Salt 1/3 cup
lemon
Cooking Instructions:
Wash and clean the lemon with lot of water, to remove dirt in it. Drain the excess water and pat dry.
DSC05498DSC05500DSC05502
Cut each lemon into two halves and cut the halves again into two halves and now cut the quartered lemon again into two halves (i.e., cut each lemon into 8 small chunks).
DSC05505DSC05506DSC05507
Once you finish off with cutting all the 12 lemons, add all the lemon chunks to a clean, well washed pressure cooker. Next take one cup of of drinking water and add it to the cooker.
DSC05508DSC05510DSC05511DSC05512
DSC05544
Then pressure cook it for exactly two whistles in high flame(else the lemon will turn bitter) and switch off the cooker. Let the pressure settle down.
DSC05514DSC05521
Now in the meantime, take 12 red chilly and remove the stems and discard it. Add red chilly to the mixer jar. Measure the salt and add it to the mixer jar along with chilly.
DSC05513DSC05515DSC05516
DSC05556
Grind this mixture into a fine powder. Wipe the walls of the mixer jar, (where the powder would have stick to it) with a clean dry spoon. Keep it aside.
DSC05518DSC05528
Open the pressure cooker and remove the lemon chunks with a slotted ladle and put it in the colander for a while to cool. Reserve the hot lemon juice / water(which you see below in the last pic)  in the pressure cooker (do not discard the water since we need to add it in the pickle).
DSC05522DSC05523DSC05524DSC05526DSC05535
DSC05564
Once the lemon chunks are cooled down, take every chunk and scrap off the gooey part with a spoon or with clean dry hands and discard it. Reserve the lemon zest separately in big bowl to prepare the pickle.
DSC05529DSC05531DSC05534DSC05536
Now add the grinded mixture along with the lemon in the bowl. Add 1/4th or 1/3rd cup of  the reserved lemon water (which is reserved in the cooker) to it in the bowl. Add 1/2 cup of drinking water to it and mix well.
DSC05537DSC05539DSC05540DSC05541
DSC05547
That’s it! our Lemon Pickle – With No Oil is ready! Transfer the mixture to a clean glass jar or some air tight containers. Keep it in sunshade just for 2 to 4 hours (highly optional). Let the mixture to sit undisturbed for one or two full days. After one or two days, the lemon chunks would have absorbed most of the spices and water in it. Check for salt (you feel slightly salty since the water has absorbed). If you feel more salty, you can add 1/4th cup of drinking water to it and mix well.
Now, refrigerate it and use it with Curd Rice! Always use clean dry spoon to take pickles!
DSC05557

Comments

Hari Chandana said…
Yummy and tangy pickle.. looks great !!
Sounds very healthy...love the clicks..
divya said…
Wowwww... looks super tempting and delicious.. lovely clicks too :)
Shobha Kamath said…
Love this pickle. Looks very tempting!
Shama Nagarajan said…
yummy...my mom's way of making

Popular posts from this blog

EFM (Event for the Month) November with the Theme - Sweets!

I am really thankful to all the bloggers and non-bloggers who participated in the EFM - Chicken. Round Up of the EFM - Chicken goes here . Now its time to announce the theme for this month. Theme for EFM (Event for the Month) for the month of November is "Sweets". Hope Sweets are favorite to all of us and we have lot of varieties to taste. So, come out with all your sweet recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your sweet entries. The most important thing is include any type of sweets except the cake varieties. Rules for Participating in the Event: 1. Prepare any type of Sweet and post it in your blog in the month of November to December, 2008 with the logo and a link back to this page. 2. If you already have appropriate entry archived, please make sure to re post it with the logo and a link back to this page. 3. Provide a link back to this announcement page and use the logo without fail. 4. Subscribe to my blog via E-mail and it is a must to participate in the event. 5. Email yo

My 200th Post and Visitors Count Hit 11000 and Announcing an Event to Celebrate It!!!

I have now made 200 blog posts since starting this blog back in February 20, 2008. It has taken me 5 moths and 10 days days to reach this milestone, and I am both proud and happy to have reached this point and never i expect that my blog will have such a good response in this short span..... Ya! today is a remarkable day for me.... Woo Hoo! Its my 200th post and the visitors count for my blog has hit 11000 today and with this post, I have hit a milestone in this blog world!!! 11000 visitors in this 5 months period may not be a great one for others but it means somethin special for me!!! I can't imagine that count at all!!! Is it a dream(pinching myself... no no... am realizing the pain)? Thanks Lord! Thank You Friends!!! First of all, I would like to thank my encourager, my hubby who inspired me to start this blog!!! Thank u, Sweet Heart!!! And i like to thank my mom specially because all the recipes i have posted so far is all from her kitchen and i learn from her only what cook

Event for the Month of September and the Theme is Chicken

I thank all my blogger friends first of all, who wished for my son Amiitesh's birthday and he enjoyed a lot on that day with all my relatives and particularly during the function time. Amiitesh got up by 5.15am itself on that day and went to bed only by 11pm and he don't want to miss to play with his grand parents and uncles. He was very eager to cut the cake from the time we received it from the bakery. He looked so smart on that day and we had a blast of happiness. He was more eager to see the gift packs he received for his birthday and started playing with them immediately as soon as we unpack the gifts. And thank you all again who showered my son with their blessings. Feeling very happy again today in Announcing the event for the month of September and the theme is "Chicken" , which is all time favorite for everyone of us. So, come out with all your chicken recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your spicy entries. Last month during Ice Creams and Milkshakes Event, i