Skip to main content

Rice Flour Puttu & Ragi Puttu & Just one week more for sending ur entries!

Hi friends,I was little busy with the varalakshmi pooja performed at my home on 15th of August. so i was unable to post recipes for few days. And am back now!

Hope you all know that an "Event for Icecreams and Milkshakes" is going in my blog and there is just one week more to reach the deadline. Please send in ur entries on or before 25th of August.

Puttu Maker

Puttu is a famous Kerala dish. I have prepared puttu with the help of a puttu maker, a steamer used to cook puttu. Those who don’t have puttu maker, no need to worry! We can prepare it in the idli cooker itself. Puttu maker is of two parts: one is the base portion look like a pot and the second portion is the top one look like cylindrical pipe.

This is how the puttu maker looks like.



Here I have presented two types of puttu, one is rice flour puttu and the other is Ragi Puttu.

Rice Flour Puttu

The main ingredient for preparing puttu is rice flour. Rice flour can be prepared at home specially for puttus or otherwise we can buy puttu flour from stores. Puttu flour bought from stores absorbs water a little more than the home made rice flour.
To prepare puttu flour at home, take necessary amount of raw rice (pacharisi) and soak it in water for about 2 hours. After 2 hours, drain the excess water and spread the wet rice in a clean cloth and let it dry under sun or fan for about half an hour. Grind it in a mixie or a food processor without adding water a little coarse and its now ready to prepare puttu. Home made puttu flour, when cooked will be soft and look whitish.

If you have prepared large amount of flour, dry roast the grinded flour in a pan until it turns little red in color and let it to dry under fan a few minutes and then store it in an airtight container. You can use this puttu flour whenever you require.

Ingredients:

Rice flour – 2 cups
Coconut – ½ shell (finely grate it)
Sugar – to taste
Salt - to taste


Cooking Instructions:


Add ¼ tsp of salt or as u require in the flour and mix it well and now add water little by little slowly and mix well. The flour after adding water should be in the bread crumbs state and should not like the dough and should be wet enough for steaming.

Add a little amount of flour in the puttu maker and add a little amount of grated coconut and add a little amount of sugar. Repeat this stack until the top of the puttu maker. Now close the lid. (Instead of adding like this three layers repeatedly, you can just fill the rice flour itself completely and after it is finished cooking, you can add grated coconut and sugar to it and mix well and then can serve it. this is how I prepare at home.)

Fill half of the base portion of puttu maker with water and fix the cylindrical pipe on that base pot portion and let it cook for 7 minutes in simmer flame. When it is finished cooking, remove the cylindrical portion and push the flour with a stick provided with the puttu maker.




Ragi Puttu


Ragi Flour (purchased from groceries) – 2 cups
Coconut – ½ shell (finely grate it)
Sugar – to taste
Salt - to taste


Cooking Instructions:


It is as similar as preparing rice flour puttu. Instead of filling rice flour, we are going to add ragi flour. This ragi puttu tastes great than rice puttu.





You can eat this puttu as it is without side dish also. Children love this, especially ragi puttu.

Side Dish: Coconut Milk with Sugar, Kondaikadalai Curry, bananas.

Comments

notyet100 said…
how do u eat puttu,,with any side dishes,,.or juts plain,..totally new one for me,..even i was busy last weekend,..;-)
Srikitchen said…
that's a good doubt and i forgot to add about side dish in my post priyanka! now i heve edited the post and the puttu can be taken without side dish also.
Ramya Bala said…
ippalam i am seeing my dad's fav(he likes only very few stuff)in others blog n started missing him..nejama!india poganumnu nenaika vaichuteengalae...nice one dear
Srikitchen said…
thanks ramya indiaku vaangapa!
Sangeeth said…
very nice lekha...luv puttu....but i dont have one here with me...so i do it in a diff way...luv ur puttu maker...
Madhavi said…
This look delicious, never made and taste this b4. Very nice entry!!!
Srikitchen said…
thanks madhavi!
thanks sangeeth! u can do it with idli cooker!
Unknown said…
puttu looks yummy..mys is made this last week ..am going to try this..
Indian Khana said…
Love puttu....we had mallu neighbor in chennai whom always use to share puttu with us whenever they make :) ..last time had puttu in Munar with chaana masala ..it was so gud...coming back to ur puttu...looks so yummy..i love puttu with sugar too ;)
bha said…
this is a new dish to me ....never heard of it.

Congrats for all ur awards, and thanks for thinking about me....sorry for the late reply
Srikitchen said…
thanks bahgs!
thanks priti!
Shreya said…
hi, Awesome puttu both rice and ragi. So healhty! Wish I could have a puttu maker like that. Mine was in the round one (in place of coconut shell), and my daughter started playing wiht it and broke it. I am going to get one too asap :-)
Nidhi said…
Have eaten Puttu with a Banana from my friends' tiffins. Had never seen a puttu maker before though had made my frineds describe it to me several times.

Thanks for sharing the recipe
Srikitchen said…
thanks nidhi and shreya!
Lakshmi said…
I am hungry now...I have never made puttu..though heard of it tons of times, will sure try this out!
Puttu looks too yummy dear.. glad to know u enjoyed ur vacation.

Popular posts from this blog

EFM (Event for the Month) November with the Theme - Sweets!

I am really thankful to all the bloggers and non-bloggers who participated in the EFM - Chicken. Round Up of the EFM - Chicken goes here . Now its time to announce the theme for this month. Theme for EFM (Event for the Month) for the month of November is "Sweets". Hope Sweets are favorite to all of us and we have lot of varieties to taste. So, come out with all your sweet recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your sweet entries. The most important thing is include any type of sweets except the cake varieties. Rules for Participating in the Event: 1. Prepare any type of Sweet and post it in your blog in the month of November to December, 2008 with the logo and a link back to this page. 2. If you already have appropriate entry archived, please make sure to re post it with the logo and a link back to this page. 3. Provide a link back to this announcement page and use the logo without fail. 4. Subscribe to my blog via E-mail and it is a must to participate in the event. 5. Email yo

My 200th Post and Visitors Count Hit 11000 and Announcing an Event to Celebrate It!!!

I have now made 200 blog posts since starting this blog back in February 20, 2008. It has taken me 5 moths and 10 days days to reach this milestone, and I am both proud and happy to have reached this point and never i expect that my blog will have such a good response in this short span..... Ya! today is a remarkable day for me.... Woo Hoo! Its my 200th post and the visitors count for my blog has hit 11000 today and with this post, I have hit a milestone in this blog world!!! 11000 visitors in this 5 months period may not be a great one for others but it means somethin special for me!!! I can't imagine that count at all!!! Is it a dream(pinching myself... no no... am realizing the pain)? Thanks Lord! Thank You Friends!!! First of all, I would like to thank my encourager, my hubby who inspired me to start this blog!!! Thank u, Sweet Heart!!! And i like to thank my mom specially because all the recipes i have posted so far is all from her kitchen and i learn from her only what cook

Event for the Month of September and the Theme is Chicken

I thank all my blogger friends first of all, who wished for my son Amiitesh's birthday and he enjoyed a lot on that day with all my relatives and particularly during the function time. Amiitesh got up by 5.15am itself on that day and went to bed only by 11pm and he don't want to miss to play with his grand parents and uncles. He was very eager to cut the cake from the time we received it from the bakery. He looked so smart on that day and we had a blast of happiness. He was more eager to see the gift packs he received for his birthday and started playing with them immediately as soon as we unpack the gifts. And thank you all again who showered my son with their blessings. Feeling very happy again today in Announcing the event for the month of September and the theme is "Chicken" , which is all time favorite for everyone of us. So, come out with all your chicken recipes and am awaiting eagerly for your spicy entries. Last month during Ice Creams and Milkshakes Event, i